The Tire Industry Association’s (TIA) 2023 Off-the-Road Tire Conference in Tucson, Ariz., will have a very, very big guest this year – the world’s largest off-the-road tire.
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company is bringing a 63-inch rim diameter RH-4A+, size 59/80R63, OTR tire to the conference for attendees to see first-hand. Weighing 12,500 pounds and standing about 13-feet tall, the behemoth is designed to provide cut-protection and wear in hard rock conditions on mammoth ultra-class haul trucks such as the Caterpillar 797 and the Komatsu 980. The Akron, Ohio-based tire maker built the tire at its Topeka, Kan., tire plant.
TIA is holding the 68th annual OTR Tire Conference Feb. 22-25 at the Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf and Tennis Resort and one of the themes of the event is to showcase how massive OTR tires can be, and the types of equipment needed to service them safely.
“We wanted to display the largest-size OTR tire to show attendees who may have never seen one how big these tires really are and to stress the importance of TIA training to properly and safely service them in mines and construction sites around the world,” said Matt White, TIA’s director of tire service.
In addition to the Goodyear tire, the outdoor display will feature some of the equipment involved in servicing ultra-class tires. This includes:
- A Titan International Inc. wheel designed for a 63-inch tire;
- A Stellar Industries OTR 23,000 tire handler truck, provided by Purcell Tire & Rubber Co., which will display the 63-inch tire in its manipulator arms;
- Tools required to change a 63-inch OTR tire, including a jack, provided by AME International;
- A Haltec Corp. tire inflator and deflator;
- OTRUSA.com tire chains for use on a 57-inch OTR tire; and
- Fuller Brothers showing how much Tire Life performance and safety liquid is needed for a 63-inch OTR tire.
“We are excited and appreciative of the sponsor companies and individuals who have made this display possible,” White said. “This will be a great addition to this year’s OTR Tire Conference.”
To register for the 2023 OTR Tire Conference, visit events at www.tireindustry.org. The cutoff date to secure a room in TIA’s room block is Friday, Jan. 27. For additional information about the conference, email [email protected].